Welcome to IHPCO
The hospice philosophy recognizes that every person deserves to live out his or her life with respect and dignity, alert and free of pain, in an environment that promotes quality of life.
From its beginnings, hospice has focused on the whole person–body, mind and spirit–with an understanding that serious illness profoundly impacts not only the patient, but also family and loved ones as well.
We here at IHPCO hope to provide you and your loved ones an in-depth understanding of hospice care and the things you should expect during the sometimes difficult journey to end of life.
Indiana has some great hospice programs and services. IHPCO is also here to guide you in making informed consumer choices.
If you have questions or need further clarification on anything you read on our site, please contact us. We’re readily available to serve you.
Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.
- Saying Goodbye: Talking to Kids About Death Death is very difficult for young children to understand, and it can be tough for parents to explain. The best advice: Keep your answers as short and simple as possible, and use these responses as a model. By Christina Frank...Read More
- End Of Life Care Can Be Different For Veterans Many veterans who served in World War II and the Korean War are now finding themselves needing end-of-life care. These vets are served by hospice care facilities across the country. But caring for vets isn't always the...Read More
- A real death: what can you expect during a loved one’s final hours? It’s hard to predict events in the final days and hours of a person’s life. Some deaths are wonderful – a gentle decline preceding a gracious demise. Certainly these are the sorts of deaths...Read More
- A TENDER HAND IN THE PRESENCE OF DEATH The daily work of a hospice nurse, who treats the physical, psychological, and spiritual needs of people at the most vulnerable point of their lives. By Larissa MacFarquhar Heather Meyerend examines Mary, a ninety-two-year-old woman, at her home, in Marine...Read More
- MEDICARE AND ADVANCE CARE PLANNING, APRIL, 2016 Q: My mother’s doctor says we should arrange for an appointment for her advance care planning. What does that mean, and will her Medicare cover it? A: Advance care planning can involve several steps to help plan for an individual’s...Read More